Position Title : Business Development Specialist (Business Development Manager, Hospitality and Tourism)
Offer ID: 16945 Open at: Public opening period: 19 April 2022 – 11 May 2022
The Deputy Mayor’s Office for Planning and Economic Development (DMPED) assists the mayor in the coordination, planning, supervision, and execution of economic development efforts in the District of Columbia with the goal of creating and preserve affordable housing, create jobs and increase tax revenue. DMPED pursues policies and programs that create strong neighborhoods, expand and diversify the local economy, and provide pathways for residents to the middle class. More information is available on the DMPED website at dmped.dc.gov.
DMPED is looking for a Business Development Specialist for its Business Development and Strategy Unit. The Business Development Unit fosters a strong and equitable local economy through the implementation of DC’s economic strategy by supporting existing businesses and entrepreneurs, attracting new businesses, and forging partnerships between government, businesses and communities that foster economic growth.
Job Description :
The Business Development Specialist will play the role of Director of Business Development, Hospitality and Tourism, implementing the strategic plan for the Business Development and Strategy Unit. A successful Business Development Manager will contribute directly to the district’s Business Retention, Expansion and Attraction (BREA) strategy by working with businesses, economic development authorities and government agencies. The incumbent of this position will drive insights from data and awareness to inform business development efforts; support the management and promotion of the project; support the management and evaluation of incentives; structure and develop incentive recommendations; assist with employer engagement; and support strategic initiatives. The incumbent of this position will work closely with the Associate Director of Business Development and Strategy and the BREA team on various business attraction, retention and expansion efforts.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Serve as the primary point of contact and subject matter expert for the hospitality and tourism industries
- Lead the design and management of hospitality and tourism initiatives on behalf of DMPED. Existing initiatives include the Special Event Relief Fund and the Encore program in partnership with OCTFME.
- Conduct business visits to meet with business owners and executives to identify key issues and solutions
- Provide creative solutions to address common business issues identified that could help improve DC’s hospitality and tourism industries
- Provide valuable assistance to businesses by navigating the range of business support programs available to them, including technical, financial, networking and regulatory support
- Interface with economic development organizations, trade associations, community stakeholders and government agencies to help attract, grow and retain hospitality and tourism businesses in the district
- Track retention and expansion workflows and support provided using a websiteCRM platform based
- Collaborate with team members on business attraction work, including lead development and management activities
- Compile, communicate and present information and packages that make a compelling business case for businesses interested in the district
- Maintain a database of hotel and tourism businesses within the business development unit CRM (Microsoft Dynamics)
- “Other assigned duties, which may include responding to general inquiries from businesses interested in relocating or expanding their presence in the District, preparing briefing notes and drafting talking points.
- Bachelor’s degree (required) or Master’s degree (preferred) with specialization in business, finance, public policy, hospitality and tourism, or related field preferred.
- At least 3-5 years of similar work experience in economic development or in the hospitality and tourism industries.
- Familiarity with economic and community development, including business attraction, expansion and retention.
- Knowledge of District of Columbia neighborhoods and business environment.
- Familiarity with hospitality and tourism industries, including trends, challenges and resources.
- Demonstrated advanced experience with the Microsoft Office suite (Word, Excel, Power Point) is required.
- Experience with CRM databases and data management preferred (Microsoft Dynamics, Salesforce, Smartsheet).
- Exceptional planning and organizational skills with strong attention to detail
- Team player and very collaborative.
- Effective oral and written communication skills.
- Entrepreneurial thinking and creative problem-solving skills are welcome.
- Desire to leverage skills to serve the required public interest; interest in local economic and community development preferred.
Salary: This position is a grade 12 on the District Government Career Services pay scale. The salary ranges from $77,649 to $99,323. Actual salary is determined by a variety of factors, including years of experience, candidate qualifications, internal equity comparisons, and agency organizational structure.
Application process: This position is posted on the DC Government Department of Human Resources (DCHR) website. Interested candidates are encouraged to follow the steps below to apply for the position:
If you encounter technical problems, please contact DCHR at (202) 442-9700.