Role type: Full time; CDD available 3 years
Department/School: Research, innovation and commercialization
Salary: Senior Manager 1 package including 10% or 17% super
- Growth market – Executive training and micro-certifications
- Expand market share – supported by THE Australia’s leading education brand!
- Experience with – various stakeholder groups; complex environments; results oriented.
Founded in 1853, the University of Melbourne is Australia’s No. 1 university and is consistently ranked among the top universities in the world. We are proud of our staff, our commitment to excellence in research and teaching, and our global engagement.
About Research, Innovation and Commercialization (RIC)
The RIC is a team of specialists dedicated to carrying out the University’s research and innovation mission in close collaboration with our academic and professional colleagues, our industrial partners, our funding and governmental agencies. We are passionate about seeing our scholars and their collaborative partners succeed, achieve research excellence, and translate their discoveries into innovation and real-world impact.
About the role
As Senior Business Development Manager (SBDM), you will lead the development and implementation of Melbourne School of Professional and Continuing Education’s (MSPACE) business development strategy. You will proactively engage academics with external stakeholders, identify, develop and nurture relationships with government and industry partners, and lead the development, negotiation and closing of business engagement opportunities. This is an exciting opportunity to shape BD at MSPACE and aspire to develop large, complex faculty-wide and university-wide opportunities.
In a typical week at work, you can:
- Proactively engage external stakeholders so that the University can respond to industry, market and organizational priorities through its teaching and learning, in particular through the development of curricula personalized professional and technical training, and work with academics and RIC colleagues to develop these opportunities
- Lead, support and drive business engagement opportunities, including developing business budgets, business models and terms, developing proposals, negotiating and executing business contracts
- Lead and drive the management, prioritization, delivery and reporting of the business opportunity pipeline for MSPACE
Your extensive experience in generating new business and negotiating business opportunities, combined with excellent relationship management skills, will enable you to represent the University in discussions on all RIC services, including personalized professional and technical training. You possess strong business acumen and industry knowledge and ideally have experience in matching research and teaching with industry developments and opportunities.
Ideally, you will also have:
- An undergraduate degree in a relevant discipline (PhD and/or MBA highly desirable, but not essential) combined with substantial business experience in a business or commercial development role, or an equivalent combination of experience and relevant education
- Proficiency in scoping, planning, identifying, negotiating and managing complex arrangements with business partners through to contract execution
- Demonstrated ability to lead and animate teams/resources to respond to business opportunities. A constructive and contributing team player. Strong project management skills
Benefits of working with us
In addition to having the opportunity to grow and meet challenges, and to be part of a vibrant campus life, our employees enjoy a range of rewarding benefits:
- Flexible work arrangements and generous personal, parental and cultural leaves
- Competitive remuneration, 17% super, salary package and leave loading
- Free and subsidized health and wellness services, and access to fitness and cultural clubs
- Discounts on a wide range of products and services, including Myki and Qantas Club cards
- Career development opportunities and 25% off graduate courses for staff and their immediate families
Learn more at https://about.unimelb.edu.au/careers/staff-benefits.
At UoM, we value the unique backgrounds, experiences and contributions each person brings to our community, and we encourage and celebrate diversity. Indigenous Australians, those who identify as LGBTQIA+, women, people of all ages, disabilities or from diverse cultural backgrounds are encouraged to apply for our roles. Our goal is to create a workforce that reflects the community in which we live.
How to register
Apply online, complete the application and upload your:
- To resume
- Cover letter – outlining your interest in this role; a response to each of the following selection criteria; and any other relevant experience you wish to highlight:
- A strong track record in generating new business and negotiating and closing business opportunities, ideally obtained by matching research and teaching through customized professional and technical training programs and other capabilities with the industry developments and opportunities.
- Proficiency in scoping, planning, identifying, negotiating and managing complex arrangements with business partners through to contract execution.
- Ability to constructively manage multiple and complex relationships with competing stakeholders and priorities without losing momentum.
- Ad close – mid-May
- Assessments and interviews – end of May
- Referencing & offer – Beginning of June
- Target start date – early July
If you require reasonable adjustments with the recruitment process, please contact the Talent Acquisition team at [email protected]
Job Description : 0047581 – Senior Business Development Manager (MSPACE) – PD.pdf
Closing of applications: MAY 5, 2022 11:55 PM AUS Eastern Daylight Time